[Search]  Search   [Groups]  Back to EA Forum Index  
Kazdane 4-3-3 (4) guide (New section + new custom tactic)  XML
FIFA 14 Ultimate Team  > General Discussion

Part-time Contract
[Avatar]

After switching at some point from 4-1-2-1-2 to 4-3-3 (4) I've got so used to this formation that it's actually allowed me to climb all the way to Div 1 and stay there comfortably. So I hope this guide is of use to anyone that is considering playing with this formation, or struggling with it.

The formation

This is the more offensive variation of 4-3-3. Here you have 2 CMs and 1 CAM. It's very nice if you enjoy possesion and building up your play, but it'll leave you exposed against quick counterattacks if you play recklessly, and you'll have to look for CM/CAMs with at least an average defense stat (at the *very* least 60+ for the CMs). Alternatively, you can use CDMs in the CM position. They won't get involved in the play as much, and you'll be taking shots from longer with them, so you'll need to have at least 75 shooting (Xabi Alonso is a good example).

My current team:
PC

Xbox

My previous teams

GK: I've had Casillas, Courtouis and Diego Lopez. And simply put, Casillas is the best of the three. This probably applies to Neuer as well in the bundesliga, and any other high rated GK. Their stats do make a difference this year.

LB/RB: 4-3-3 (4) is all about attack, and you're going to want them to be as quick as possible, they'll help your wingers and exchange positions as needed. You'll need pace as well, to recover lost ground in case of counterattacks. If you are confident in your skills, get them involved right from the beginning (LB+X/A). If you aren't leave them alone. They won't initiate runs unless you go to the sides with a CM/CAM and wait there for them to offer you cover.

CBs: This is pretty standard. In this formation you might get counterattacked a lot, so you'll need them to be strong and, if High/Med workrates, pacey. If you opt for CBs with Med/Med, or Med/High (Godín and Pepe) you don't necesarily need the pace, as they'll sit deeper on the pitch.

CM/CAM: The better rounded the player, the better they'll perform here. Bale overall's are perfect for a 4-3-3 (4) CM. His defense is high enough (74) to sit behind the CAM, and his shooting works from pretty much everywhere. Same applies to IF Rakitic. He has lower defense, but his other stats are well balanced. You're going to need, above everything else, two stats: Shooting and Passing. If your player is the CAM, you can overlook defense. If it's CM, you'll need at the very least 60+ defense for them, to help in defense. If you opt to use a CDM in the CM position, then make sure at least Passing (and preferably shooting too) are high enough to use them through your build-up play.

LW/RW/STR: Your front 3. Pace is a factor here (I have swapped Villa with Turan. Villa has better shooting and higher pace, Turan is an LM), but is not the most decisive. Look for players with at least 75 pace and 75+ shooting.

Workrates and you
Workrates. You'll see this word tossed around fairly often in these forums. How important are they in 4-3-3 (4)? (and generally speaking). They are important, but they should never be your top priority. For instance, if you like RVP, there's no reason to not use him just because his workrates are H/L, but you'll need to keep into account that he'll stay up the pitch and, therefore, he'll rarely participate in the build-up play (which you probably don't want him to, anyways).

Work rates will define the behavior of your team, and how involved your players get in the build-up. A H/L CAM (like Nasri) will be always closer to the opponent's box. This is great, but it means you need to have two CMs that are M/M, H/H or, at the very least, H/M, so that you have enough options to build-up your play, otherwise your strikers and Nasri will be isolated, and it'll be easier to pressure your team.

Custom tactics *do* affect workrates to some degree. For instance, Ramos is a H/M CB, with my custom tactics, he'll rarely join attacks, but if your build-up play is long enough, and you do the enough passes, he'll be seen around the box eventually (and he'll race down to his own box as soon as you lose the ball).

So, with this in mind, when checking work rates, first of all, define which players are nonnegotiable for you (say, you really, really want Nasri in your team, but you don't care who the other two CMs are) and build your team with that in mind. In this example, you can move Nasri to striker (with a CAM/CF position card), and have instead Cazorla as CAM, or pick Rooney as your STR, his H/H will make him participate more in your team, Defoe, Demba Ba, Giroud or Lukaku would be good options as well, since they are M/M).

Pace and you
The pace of your CM line is going to define the tempo of your team (aka as how quickly you can build-up your play without breaking your team's formation). For instance, Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas are great CMs, but they have 66, 75 and 68 pace, this means that, when you get the ball, no matter how bad you want to counter attack, they will need time to catch up.

If you send a quick ball to your striker, and run up the whole field, you might need to hold the ball for quite some time until they show up. With this in mind, you need to decide if the speed of play is important to you. Do you want to move the ball quickly from your own half to the opposition's box? Pacier CMs will let you do that whilst holding possession (Isco, Cazorla, Özil...), but it also means it'll be easier for the opposition to close gaps.

If you use slow CMs (Schweinsteiger, Xavi...), you will need more passes and a bit more time to move up the field (which is actually a good thing, in this FIFA you want to hold possession for as long as you can, to minimize the opportunities of your opponent to cross or lob through the ball).

So, when you build your team, either adapt your style of play to the players you want to use, or use the players that you want for your style of play. Quick possession attacks will require CMs with relatively high pace and very high vision (such as Iniesta), while slower possession will suit everyone. The important thing here is to understand that if you don't know the proper tempo of play for your team, you will be leaving gaps *everywhere* for the opposition to exploit them.

Positioning, Vision and Ball Control
These three stats aren't commonly considered when building a team, but they are key particularly for high rated teams, and you need to understand them to make the best out of them.

Ball control defines how well a player handles the ball. The higher the ball control, the closer the ball will remain to the player's feet and the smoother he'll move around. This is quite useful if you want to start your build-ups from your defense. Piqué and Ramos have great passing and ball control (which means you have some room to play with them, rather than clear it straight away as you'd do with defenders with lower ball control)

Vision is the ability of your player to see others (team mates and opposition) in the field. Even if you see Neymar doing a perfect run down the line and want to send him a long pass, you'll need a player that can spot the run. That's where vision kicks in, making it easier to send accurate passes to those players with folks like Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta etc... Generally speaking, try to pick CMs with at least 80 vision, but the higher, the better.

Positioning is the ability to read the game offensively. And dictates how your player will do runs when being controlled by the AI (as well as avoiding getting caught off-side and also finding good positions for shooting). This is a very important attribute in high-rated teams, as those strikers (Van Persie, Neymar, Aguero, Lewandowski, Benzema, Eto'o, Costa...) will make great runs in their own (and in fact using L1+A with them may be a detriment if you're just trying to force your way through the opposition's defence).

Keep in mind these three factors when building your team. If you have many players with a high positioning stat, the more you spam L1 to send them into runs, the more you will actually limit yourself from having them do great runs in their own.

The gameplay
4-3-3 (4) is a very adaptive formation, but it is the most offensive of the 4-3-3 variations. This means that if you want to go the possession route, you'll need to have players with good ball control, passing, vision, and above all, good shooting (for your CMs and attackers), and manually position your players back in defense when being counter attacked.

4-3-3 (4)'s biggest weakness is, by far, being able to be counter-attacked with relative ease. For this reason, keep in mind you should never send your defenders in runs to build-up the play (you should never do it regardless of the formation you're playing, anyways) and that you'll have to be ready to backtrack quickly if you do lose the ball.

If you go the quick build-up/counter attack route, you'll also want to go for high pressure. 4-3-3 (4) enables you to press the opposition as far as next to their own box. If you press properly (never use team-mate contain to send two guys after the ball in the opposition's half, unless you want to open yourself to a counterattack, instead manually close down passing lanes while your team-mate presses) you'll be able to recover the ball quickly and set up a nice chance for goal.

Use the Co-op camera with the farthest zoom settings. It'll be much easier to understand what's going on and get the full picture

Custom Tactics
Slow build-up, low pressure (aka the classic tactic)
The goal of this tactic is to take it slow, you won't necessarily dominate in possession, but it should offer plenty of safe options for passing. It's very important to use LB+X/A only if really necessary, otherwise your high rated players (Balotelli, Vidal, Benzema, Suarez, RVP,...) won't make runs based on their positioning, which will be better than those.

Build Up Play
Speed: 27
Passing: 25
Positioning: Free Form

Chance creation
Passing: 17
Crossing: 31
Shooting: 35
Positioning: Organized

Defence
Pressure: 10
Aggression: 10
Team Width: 50
Defender Line: Cover

Slow build-up, medium pressure
This one plays very similar to classic tactic, but it'll make it easier to take down those wingers and pacey players when using team-mate contain. Careful with it though, as you can expose your back easily if you just team-mate contain constantly.

Build Up Play
Speed: 27
Passing: 25
Positioning: Organised

Chance creation
Passing: 17
Crossing: 31
Shooting: 35

Defence
Pressure: 10
Aggression: 66
Team Width: 50

Quick build-up, high pressure
This custom tactic is based on an old tactic I used back at the beginning of fifa. If you're down by 2 goals, you can use it to try to catch up, but beware, it'll be useless against opponents that play possession, as they'll exploit all the openings you'll leave behind. Works wonders against long through ground pass spammers, though.

Build Up Play
Speed: 100
Passing: 50
Positioning: Organised

Chance creation
Passing: 22
Crossing: 62
Shooting: 56

Defence
Pressure: 100
Aggression: 100
Team Width: 1 (yes, 1. Not a typo)
If you want, feel free to create another custom tactic using Defender Line Off-side, although it doesn't seem to make much of a difference when your defender line is sitting closer to your box.

NEW Tactics
Quick-build-up, medium/high pressure
This custom tactic is ideal if you have many 80+ pace players, as it'll let you move the ball quickly and, at the same time, have those guys get ready for runs to score.
Build Up Play
Speed: 70
Passing: 50

Chance creation
Passing: 26
Crossing: 20
Shooting: 50

Defence
Pressure: 65
Aggression: 66
Team Width: 1 (yes, 1. Not a typo)

My advice is to create another custom tactic but with Team Width set at 100. Switch between these two depending on your opposition's team. Two strikers formation? Go with the 1 team width. Wide formation? (4-3-3 or lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 and so) go with 100 width.

Gameplay Videos (Newest are first)

Whoa, so, I hope this is of use to anyone. If you have questions, ask! It's my first guide on the forum, and I'm sure there're plenty of mistakes and details I haven't mentioned. And show your 4-3-3 (4) teams (and tactics/experiences) to help others!

Team Ideas/Suggestions, Community Teams

Cheap non-rare BBVA team

BPL team

Bundesliga team

Liga BBVA fitness (~37k on PS3)

Hybrid Bundesliga BBVA fitness (~37k on PS3)

semz6's team

pgarrihy25's team

adamdtx's team

scottCFC's team 1

scottCFC's team 2

Other 4-3-3 (4) guides
-Marsh's 4-3-3(4):http://forum.ea.com/uk/posts/list/75/2640407.page

Useful resources
Robb has made a nice compilation of videos showing how to use feint moves, ball rolls and shielding. Check them out if you need examples on how to play. It'll help you in attack:
http://forum.ea.com/uk/posts/list/2656949.page

12/03/14: New section: Ball Control, Vision and Positioning + new custom tactic
04/03/14: Added new custom tactics.
04/12/13: Div 1 gameplay videos added.
07/11/13: Sections added: Workrates and you & Pace and you.
26/10/13: Some team suggestions and teams from the community added.
25/10/13: Updated guide and added new custom tactics.
25/10/13: Gameplay videos added.

This message was edited 27 times. Last update was at 30/05/2014 16:23:11

National Champion
[Avatar]

Very cool! This is a formation I always end up going back to somehow. I've had various degrees of success but for my next attempt I'll be sure to read carefully for some tips!

Local Club Sub

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I also use this formation as it's the best attacking formation for hybrids.

My side:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/10/2013 00:54:56

Part-time Contract
[Avatar]

fifakid96 wrote:Very cool! This is a formation I always end up going back to somehow. I've had various degrees of success but for my next attempt I'll be sure to read carefully for some tips!

Feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Part-time Contract
[Avatar]

semz6 wrote:Thanks for taking the time to do this. I also use this formation as it's the best attacking formation for hybrids.

My side:

Nice! That Ronaldo Cavani combo must be brutal. Cavani is a great striker for this formation

Local Club Sub

Nice guide. Been wanting to try this formation out. Could you build me a BPL team costing around 200-250k? PS3

Park Captain

This is my favorite formation by a mile on Fifa 14 and im also using it on UT just a shame about the custom tactics but like you said the only way your going to get success on this Fifa is by using high pressure/aggression because everyone else is also using it.

You got a nice team there aswell but dont Modric and Rakitic get forward a lot and leave u short in defence?

In Moyes we trust!!

Local Club Hero
[Avatar]

Blakey I 7 I wrote:This is my favorite formation by a mile on Fifa 14 and im also using it on UT just a shame about the custom tactics but like you said the only way your going to get success on this Fifa is by using high pressure/aggression because everyone else is also using it.

You got a nice team there aswell but dont Modric and Rakitic get forward a lot and leave u short in defence?

high pressure is surely not the only way to be successful, good players dont use it in divison 1. Also its easy to deal with it actually.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 22/10/2013 11:04:03

Part-time Contract
[Avatar]

Sigh, high aggression and pressing tactics.

What a lousy mentality to be honest, you can't justify anything with the "everyone else does it" argument.

Apart from that the team would be ripped to shreds if you weren't exploiting the game mechanics, thus rendering the guide useless.

Credit for effort though.

Big Money Transfer
[Avatar]

Quality guide mate! having some success with this formation myself

Part-time Contract
[Avatar]

SG8andLS7 wrote:Nice guide. Been wanting to try this formation out. Could you build me a BPL team costing around 200-250k? PS3

Sure. Any player you would like to have there?

Part-time Contract
[Avatar]

Blakey I 7 I wrote:This is my favorite formation by a mile on Fifa 14 and im also using it on UT just a shame about the custom tactics but like you said the only way your going to get success on this Fifa is by using high pressure/aggression because everyone else is also using it.

In defense I only use team mate contain if it makes sense. High pressure / aggression is there primarily to close down quickly on wingers. It's an offensive formation, so the further up the pitch you win the ball, the better (this wouldn't make sense with a 5-2-1-2, where you rely primarily on counters, and thus you want your opponent to be near your box).

Modric and Rakitic move a lot around the field, but you don't really want them deep with your defense, they are your primary drivers to move the ball to the midfield. If I feel I'm against a player that will go ultra attacking and pressuring my cbs, I'll swap them with Alonso and Busquets

Local Club Sub

Kazdane wrote:
SG8andLS7 wrote:Nice guide. Been wanting to try this formation out. Could you build me a BPL team costing around 200-250k? PS3

Sure. Any player you would like to have there?

Not really. Although I currently have the likes of Jovetic, Sturridge, Benteke, Remy, Nasri, Cazorla, Navas, Cabaye, Baines, Sakho, Kaboul, Toure, Cahill, Walker in my squad. So maybe having at least 1-2 of them in my team would be nice. Keep it to 180k if possible (including my current players), just spent some coins. Thanks!

Local Club Sub

would this work

League Winner
[Avatar]

Great Guide. Nice read.

I use these 2 Teams atm

Ordem e progresso
FIFA 14 Ultimate Team  > General Discussion
Go to: